Full-Day Excursion to Machu Picchu (14 hours)
Getting to Machu Picchu is the dream-goal of millions of visitors, because Machu Picchu simply is unimaginable, and has been the motive for so many myths, legends, theories, books and movies, as much in ancient Peru, as in modern times.
The site where Machu Picchu is located has evidently been chosen in function of the ideology and ceremonial criteria of Pachacutec´s time (15th century), due to its surrounding Sacred Geography and strategic location.
In Machu Picchu, there are 183 buildings, including temples, palaces, enclosures, handicraft workshops, living quarters and interconnected water fountains, as well as squares, esplanades, streets, stairways, access doorways and walls.
The 107 tombs, originally found on the site, during Bingham´s expeditions (1911 and 1912-1915), contained the remains of 174 individuals that, initially were examined by George Eaton; the expedition´s bone expert, who diagnosed that most of them had belonged to women. However, careful studies led, with modern technology, by John Verano, in 2003, demonstrated that there was a 1.46:1 ratio that showed an almost equivalent number of bone remains of both genders, with slight female superiority.
The excursion includes: Transfers, train, bus to Machu Picchu and back, entrance tickets and official tour guide service.
- Early morning pick-up at your hotel, and private vehicle transfer (included) to the railway station, in Poroy or Ollantaytambo.
- At the indicated time, departure on the selected train (train ticket included), in Poroy or Ollantaytambo, to travel to the village of Machupicchu Pueblo (Ex Aguas Calientes).
- Upon arrival in Machupicchu Pueblo, your guide will take you to the bus station, to board a bus (bus ticket included), for a 25 to 30-minute uphill ride on the winding road that leads to the Incan Liaqta of Machu Picchu.
- Entrance registry (entrance ticket included) at the Liaqta of Machu Picchu, and 3-hour approximate visit time, in the company of an official tour guide.
- Free time for lunch (included or not, in our price).
- At the indicated time, bus back to Machupicchu Pueblo (bus ticket included).
- At the indicated time, departure of the return train to Ollantaytambo or Poroy (train ticket included).
- Upon arrival, transfer from the train station to your hotel, in Cusco.